The South Dakota Department of Health has received a grant through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Prescription Drug Overdose: Data-Driven Prevention Initiative in response to the growing national problem of opioid drug abuse. As part of the grant, the Department of Health will be appointing a Prescription Opioid Abuse Advisory Committee to review opioid use data for the state and develop strategies for preventing prescription opioid misuse and abuse.
Advisory Committee Members
- Laura Streich, South Dakota Department of Health, Chair
- Kristen Bunt, South Dakota Association of Healthcare Organizations
- Sara DeCoteau, Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate of the Lake Traverse Reservation
- Maureen Deutscher, Family Representative
- Chris Dietrich, MD, South Dakota State Medical Association
- Margaret Hansen, South Dakota Board of Medical & Osteopathic Examiners
- Amy Hartman, Volunteers of America – Dakotas
- Tiffany Wolfgang, South Dakota Department of Social Services
- Brian Zeeb, South Dakota Office of Attorney General
- Kristen Carter, South Dakota Pharmacists Association
- Jon Schuchardt, PharmD, Great Plains Indian Health Services
- Kari Shanard-Koenders, South Dakota Board of Pharmacy
- Senator Jim White, Huron
For more information about the advisory committee and upcoming meetings, visit the committee’s website.