There are options to help manage chronic pain that don’t include taking prescription opioids. Through Better Choices, Better Health® South Dakota you’ll find programs and resources that provide strategies for coping with chronic pain in a safe and non-addictive way.
Better Choices, Better Health® SD
BCBH-SD offers a suite of free evidence-based self-management education and physical activity programs for adults and caregivers living with chronic pain. In a supportive group environment, participants learn skills to safely manage and balance life with ongoing physical and/or mental health conditions. Programs are available in-person and through online distance learning.
Take charge of your health—register for a workshop in your area.
FIND OTHER WAYS TO MANAGE YOUR PAIN
Depending on the type of pain you are experiencing, some options may actually work better and have fewer risks and side effects.
Before you begin taking a prescription opioid, consider:
- Tylenol (Acetaminophen) or Advil (Ibuprofen)
- Heat or Ice
- Exercise and weight loss
- Acupuncture, massage, or gentle yoga
- Exercise therapy
- Physical therapy
- Injections therapy
- Therapies that teach you how to modify physical, behavioral, and emotional triggers for pain and stress
- Non-opioid medications for depression or seizures
- Re-evaluate your pain and what’s bearable
- Prescription opioids may help in the short-term but can be harmful long-term
- Talk with your doctor about alternate options that may work better and have fewer side effects