There are several options that can help manage chronic pain without taking a prescription opioid. South Dakota offers programs and resources to help those suffering with chronic pain learn strategies for coping in a safe and non-addictive way.
Better Choices, Better Health® SD
Better Choices, Better Health® SD offers free educational workshops for caregivers and adults living with chronic pain. In a supportive group environment, participants learn skills to safely manage pain and balance life with ongoing physical and/or mental health conditions. Register for a workshop in your area.
FIND OTHER WAYS TO MANAGE YOUR PAIN
Depending on the type of pain you are experiencing, some options may actually work better and have fewer risks and side effects.
Before you begin taking a prescription opioid, consider:
- Tylenol (Acetaminophen) or Advil (Ibuprofen)
- Heat or Ice
- Exercise and weight loss
- Acupuncture, massage, or gentle yoga
- Exercise therapy
- Physical therapy
- Injections therapy
- Therapies that teach you how to modify physical, behavioral, and emotional triggers for pain and stress
- Non-opioid medications for depression or seizures
- Re-evaluate your pain and what’s bearable
- Prescription opioids may help in the short-term but can be harmful long-term
- Talk with your doctor about alternate options that may work better and have fewer side effects