Medication Lock Boxes
People take medications and vitamins to feel and stay well. However, any medication—including those you buy without a prescription—can be harmful if taken in the wrong way or by the wrong person.
Storing medications safely at home and on-the-go can help keep everyone safe. A medication lock box is a secure container that ensures medicine is only accessible to the prescription holder and will help reduce accidental overdose or misuse of medication.
Lock boxes can be used by anyone, including:
- Realtors (for safe storage during clients’ open houses)
- Senior living centers
- When traveling
Fill out the form below to receive a FREE lock box in the mail and be sure to follow safe storage guidelines for all your medications.
Safer Lock Box Order Form
Please complete this form to have a Safer Lock Box sent directly to you. Safer Lock Boxes will only be distributed to South Dakota residents. Please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery. Questions? Please reach out to the Resource Hotline at 1-800-920-4343.
Follow safe storage guidelines
Keep your family and friends safe. Share these basic storage guidelines with anyone who has medication in their home:
- Put medications and vitamins up and away, out of children’s reach and sight.
- Be prepared in case of an emergency. Call your poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 right away if you think your child might have gotten into a medicine or vitamin, even if you are not completely sure.
- Put all over-the-counter and prescription medications away after each use. This includes medicines and vitamins you use every day.
- Make sure the safety cap is locked.
- Teach your kids about medicine safety. About 50,000 children end up in emergency rooms each year because they got into medicines while an adult wasn’t looking.
- Ask family members, houseguests, and other visitors to keep purses, bags, or coats that have medicine out of sight and reach of children when they are in your home.
Learn more about the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention campaign to encourage storing medications safely.